Secure, calibrated, full latitude grading in 2K on the new iPad.
Seamlessly integrated with Colorfront On-Set Dailies, On-Set Color is an iPad grading app that supports communication of cinematographic intent between DoP and the dailies colorist.
Having access to the full latitude 2K 10bit logarithmic DPX images on the new iPad, with the calibration applied on the device allows for a proper grading pipeline to be implemented on the iPad.
See the workflow video.
OSCQuickStartGuide.pdf [845 KB]
Images are watermarked and encrypted and can be synced through secure FTP. Color grading is compatible with On-Set Dailies and can be sent back along with any text notes to the dailies facility and applied for the transfer.
On-Set Color works both on iPad 2 and the original iPad and is available for all On-Set Dailies users immediately.
Advantages of Colorfront On-Set Color
- Full integration with On-Set Dailies
- Works with 2K uncompressed 10 bit log DPX files
- Full latitude high dynamic source material
- 3DLUT calibration applied on the iPad
- Automatic sync stills and color grading metadata from OSD
- Secure FTP transfer, 128-bit AES encrypted images and watermarking for security
- View original, colorist or new grade
- Send back CDL or primary grade settings to OSD
- Multi-Touch UI, gestural interface
- Aspect ratio overlay and blanking
- Brightness, contrast, color balance, saturation control
- Color grade shadow, midtones and highlights separately
- Review and share notes and comments
For additional security details on the iPad in general, please review:
iPad in Business Security Overview
On-Set Color™ and On-Set Dailies™ are trademarks of Colorfront.
COLORFRONT LAUNCHES TRANSKODER ENGINE AT NAB 2012
New workflow workhorse fits straight into existing facility architecture
NAB 2012, Las Vegas, April 16, 2012 – Academy Award-winning developer Colorfront (www.colorfront.com) has launched a new product line that automates fast, high-quality digital file conversion for studios and VFX facilities involved in motion picture and high-end TV production. The standalone Transkoder Engine is based on Colorfront’s award-winning On-Set Dailies architecture and uses cost-effective, commodity hardware, to deliver faster-than-realtime processing to transcode, decode, convert and process files for multiple deliverables.
Studios and high-end post facilities, needing to process several Terabytes of source material every day, can use Colorfront Transkoder Engine to quickly produce high-quality mezzanine MXF files, such as IMF JPEG2000, SRFile SStP, DVCPro, XDCam and AS-11 AVC-Intra formats, or DCI-compliant deliverables, whilst preserving color science information and metadata, streamlining their workflows and obtaining the highest quality results.
“The Transkoder Engine is a workflow workhorse, designed to feed various systems in a facility, and to rapidly convert material from one format to another," said Aron Jaszberenyi, managing director of Colorfront. "As it is based on non-proprietary, off-the-shelf hardware, it can be easily upgraded as required for better performance at minimal cost. The low cost of ownership, small rack space and lower power requirement, deliver extreme workflow performance, and it will fit straight into existing facility architectures."
Stefan Müller, Managing Director of CinePostproduction commented: "When we need to create OpenEXR files for compositing, DPX files for Smoke and Lustre, DNxHD for Avid editorial, or 16-bit XYZ TIFF files for DCDM, the Colorfront Transkoder Engine delivers on time and on budget. Its further ability to directly render-out MXF wrapped JPEG2000 files for DCP generation, is a great advantage to us too."
Colorfront Transkoder Engine is delivered as a standalone 1RU system, minimizing its technology footprint in the machine room. Running on a 64-bit Windows 7 platform, it exploits the performance of the latest eight-core CPUs, and multi-GPU-based CUDA parallel computing, offering 32-bit per channel floating point processing.
The Transkoder Engine includes Colorfront-developed algorithms that deliver the industry’s highest-quality de-Bayer/de-Mosaic processing of RAW files from Canon C500, Sony F65, ARRI Alexa and RED Epic cameras, Phantom, Silcon Imaging 2K. Its image-processing capabilities include a full IIF-ACES color pipeline, image-resizing tools, LUT and color space conversion, plus a range of burn-in/watermarking options. Processes can be easily automated via a command line interface and SOAP-based XML engine.
Transkoder Engine Main Features
- Standalone Windows 7, 64-bit platform
- Dual OctoCore Intel processors & NVIDIA GPU cards
- Fast, efficient GPU engine for high-end formats including 4K, DPX, RAW, OpenEXR and TIFF
- Mezzanine MXF format support such as IMF JPEG2000, MPEG4 SStP, DNxHD 444, and AMWA DDP AS-11 (AVC-Intra 4:2:2)
- de-Bayer & de-Mosaic, format, resize, aspect ratio, crop, LUTs and color space conversion, watermark, subtitle and encode processing
- JPEG2000 (IMF and DCP) MXF wrapping
- Renders jobs from On-Set Dailies from a single XML
- Composition Playlist and Output Profile List XML (showing resolution, bitrate, format) to define jobs and deliverables
- Watch folder, scriptable command line and web service based SOAP interface
Colorfront at NAB 2012
Colorfront's On-Set Dailies will be presented by several key industry partners at NAB 2012, 14 – 19 April, Las Vegas, NV:
Colofront On-Set Dailies was developed by the same team which won the 2010 Scientific and Engineering Award® from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences®, for the development Autodesk’s Lustre® grading system.
About Colorfront: Colorfront, based in Budapest, Hungary, is one of Europe's leading DI and post production facilities. The company was founded by brothers Mark and Aron Jaszberenyi, who together played a pivotal role in the emergence of non-linear DI. The company's R&D team earned an Academy Award for the development of Lustre, Autodesk's DI grading system. Combining this in-depth expertise with a pedigree in the development of additional cutting-edge software for color enhancement, Colorfront offers today’s most advanced technologies for scanning and recording, DI grading, conforming, digital dailies, VFX, online and offline editing, cinema sound mixing, mastering and deliverables. For further information please visit www.colorfront.com